It can be surprisingly easy for a dispute to get out of hand and turn into an expensive, drawn out case involving litigation.
Workplace Mediation offers important benefits to employers and employees alike. When a dispute is mediated shortly after it arises, the chances of reaching a satisfactory resolution are much greater. Mediated resolutions work better and last longer than decisions imposed by authority because everyone involved has been included in the decision process. Furthermore, mediation improves communication and can mend and preserve working relationships even when the parties are extremely hurt and angry.
- Are you or your managers spending too much time on disciplinary or grievance processes?
- Do you ever question whether underlying issues can be resolved?
- Are you or your managers locked into a dispute and believe that the outcome will satisfy no-one?
- Have you settled disputes rather than tried to resolve them in other ways?
If you have answered yes to any of the above questions then mediation may well be a solution for you.
The Benefits of Workplace Mediation
There are many benefits to using mediation in the workplace and Acas research states that an agreement is reached in 80% of mediations that take place.
- It’s suitable for a wide range of workplace issues.
- It can be used for individuals as well as team or group conflicts.
- It can be used at any stage of a dispute. However, it is more successful earlier on.
- It assists both parties to find a resolution to their problems.
- Conflicts can be resolved in one day and it can be a cost effective solution.
Many disputes arise out of a failure by either party or both parties to communicate or consider the needs and interests of the other. People focus on “who is right and who is wrong?” and become blind to the fact that both may have a legitimate point of view. A good mediator will be able to gain the trust and confidence of both parties and encourage them to start talking again and ultimately, work productively together.
If you feel that a mediator could help resolve your employee disputes, please contact us to see how we could help.